• Tread Talk

Have Your Compliance in Order to Start Your Trucking Company

Updated: May 11, 2020

You're so close. But don't get too ahead of yourself just yet. You still need to make sure that you have all your compliance in order before you can move forward. Make sure these 4 things are completed so your can be one step closer to getting started!

1. File a BOC-3

A BOC-3 is a United States federal filing that designates a process agent in each state to be served legal paperwork on behalf of your company. There are companies that provide information on process agents in your states that you can use for a one-time fee. Make sure that if you make a change to your MC# - address, name, or phone number - you need to file a new BOC-3 or your MC# will be put on an inactive list 30 days later.

2. Set up your International Registration Plan (IRP) and get your apportioned plates

For an IRP, you must register your fleets of vehicles that travel in multiple jurisdictions. You must report the mileage driven in each state annually and pay taxes on those miles. The information that you'll need for this registration is your VIN, title information, purchase cost and date, and the make, model etc. of your vehicle. You will also need to have an idea of the states you want to haul in. Your registration fee is determined by the number of states you haul in and the number of miles your drive. The DMV tells you the fee once you have registered. Then, once you pay the fee you will receive your apportioned tags.

3. Create an IFTA Account

The International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) is an agreement among the lower 48 states and Canadian provinces to simplify the reporting of fuel taxes by interstate motor carriers. At the end of the fiscal quarter, you must complete your fuel tax report, list all miles you have traveled in all participating jurisdictions, and all fuel purchases.

4. Complete a Unified Carrier Registration (UCR)

This requires businesses operating commercial motor vehicles in interstate or international commerce to register within their operating state and then pay an annual fee based on the size of your fleet. This registration needs to be renewed EVERY year - don't forget!

It's as easy as 1, 2, 3 ... 4. Porter Billing Services partners with compliance companies to help you get everything in order and take the stress of doing it yourself away. Call us today so we can tell you more about it and connect you to our partners > 205.397.0934

Have your compliance in order to run your trucking company: BOC-3, IRP, UCR, IFTA
Compliance: Have it in order before your start your trucking company

37 views0 comments