compliance for

your trucking company

avoid compliance pitfalls

Compliance is confusing

Before you hit the road take the time to put your compliance in order

(Your future self will thank you!)


Hover to see compliance mistakes to steer clear of with your new authority.

start your

trucking company

Road - compliance.png
Sign up for a drug consortium & testing
File for:
  • BOC-3
  • IFTA
  • IRP
  • UCR
Prepare Driver & Equipment files

FMCSA filings must be completed prior to authority activation.

Regulations require participation in a drug and alcohol testing consortium

All new carriers must undergo a Safety Audit within their first 12 months of operations

The FMCSA holds new authorities pending until a commercial liability policy is bound 

Driver qualification and vehicle maintenance files must be recorded and maintained for each employee or asset

blue truck.png
You're ready to start a compliant trucking company!

Get your trucking company up and running

without hitting bumps in the road.

For more information on compliance, call us now!



compliance steps

  1. File for your MC and DOT number

  2. Sign up for a drug consortium and testing

  3. File for: BOC-3, IFTA, IRP, and UCR

  4. Bind your insurance policy

  5. Prepare for your new entrant audit

  6. Prepare driver and equipment files

  7. Start your compliant trucking company

what to avoid

  1. Regulations​ require participation in a drug and alcohol testing consortium

  2. FMCSA files must be completed prior to MC authority activation

  3. The FMCSA will hold new authorities pending until a insurance policy is bound

  4. All new carriers must go through a safety audit in their first 12 months of operations

  5. Driver qualification and vehicle maintenance files must be recorded and maintained for each employee asset

What you get with Porter:

24 hour pay on all loads

No monthly minimums on companies with 1-2 trucks

Flexible contract options

True flat rate pricing

Dedicated account representatives

Pre-approved broker & shipper list to use

Expert dispatchers that book loads under your MC number so you build credit

Database of 250+ freight broker options

Fuel advances available

$0.14 savings per gallon at major stops

$0.25+ savings per gallon at smaller chains

The trucking industry requires you to keep your business compliant to stay active

Avoid making mistakes that will cost you your trucking company

Let us help you stay compliant!

Apply Now

How do i file for my trucking authority?

Whether you're an experiences driver or completely new to the transportation industry, once you decide to become an owner operator and work for yourself, you must file for your own trucking authority.

Things you need before you start filing:

  • Know the type of authority you need to apply for

  • Have a business name and entity - file it with your state

  • Get an Employer Identification Number (EIN)

  • Get an insurance policy

  • Get your MC number

How do you file for your trucking authority?

  • Get a USDOT number

    • This is your company's ID number and is used to access all your company information (vehicle type, cargo type, safety and compliance). All trucking company's must get a USDOT number and renew it every 2 years.

  • File a BOC-3

    • After you have completed your MC application, you have 21 days to file your BOC-3 and get an insurance policy. You are not authorized to start working until your MC Number is active and your BOC-3 and insurance policy is filed with the FMCSA.​

  • Set up your International Registration Plan and get your apportioned plates

    • For your IRP, you must register your fleets of vehicles that travel in multiple jurisdictions. To register, you need your VIN, title information, purchase cost and date​, and the make and model of your vehicle. Once you pay the fee that is determined by number of states you work in and number of miles you drive, you will get your apportioned tags.

  • Create an International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA)

    • This agreement is between the lower 48 states and Canadian provinces to simplify the reporting of fuel taxes by interstate motor carriers.​ You must complete your fuel tax report at the end of each fiscal quarter, list all miles traveled in participating jurisdictions, and all fuel purchases.

  • Complete a Unified Carrier Registration (UCR)

    • All trucking company's that operate their commercial motor vehicles in interstate or international commerce must register with their home state and pay an annual fee. ​This fee is based on the size of the fleet and must be renewed every year.

  • Sign up for drug and alcohol consortium

    • The FMCSA and DOT require all truck drivers to have negative drug screens prior to hiring or driving themselves.​

our services:

Same day pay, month-to-month contracts, non-recourse and recourse programs to meet your trucking company's needs, and more.

Attract quality carriers by establishing and building credit through factoring.

Save money on every haul with the industry's best fuel card.

Get the lowest insurance quote from our trusted insurance partners.

Receive top paying loads with our dispatching program.

Avoid costly mistakes when your start your trucking company with our compliance partners.